Sunday 6 March 2011

Looking Forward to Spring

The first two weeks of marriage has gone by fast, and we’re both adjusting to it very well. It hasn’t felt strange at all – the strange thing has been that it’s felt so natural.

I’ve started working on our wardrobes for the summer. I’m sewing a 14th century shirt for Tobias, in bleached linen. I only have a little hemming left on it.



I also finished a wimple I started on years ago - it’s made from the same half bleached linen the veil I wrote about last summer, and like that one, I’ve hung it up in the window to bleach a bit more (I would prefer it if they match). I’m a bit excited to be wearing a veil, like a proper married woman.

Both Tobias and I would like a garden eventually, but in the meanwhile, we’ll try to grow some herbs and veggies in our windows, and when it gets warmer, on the balcony. This week we sowed tomatoes, parsley, dill, and a few other things, and (after being from home since yesterday and nothing was visible) several little seedlings had come up this afternoon.



The tomatoes especially seem to grow quickly, they're an inch tall already. Interesting how thrilling such a simple thing can be.

5 comments:

  1. I love the seedlings - I can't wait to plant here, but we are still a few weeks away from being able to put anything in the ground outside. Soon, though! In the meantime, I have bulbs coming up. Happy me. :)

    How wonderful your marriage is settling so smoothly into a natural, blessed routine. The shirt you are making looks fabulous; do you make the head opening large enough for the head to slip through or make a slit or whatnot for ease of putting-on? David won't wear the shirt I made him; :( I made the head opening large enough for his head to slip through and he says he doesn't like it since it doesn't sit close up next to his neck. . .sigh. . .

    Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it large enough to just slip over the head (that took some careful measurment). His tunic will go a bit higher than that, though, so no one will see how large the head opening of the shirt is. Add a hood on top of that, and you'll hardly be able to see his neck at all.... The middle ages is a different culture, which might take some getting used to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, David doesn't mind wearing his tunic or hood, but he says he doesn't like the *feel* of the shirt. He's used to modern day knit undershirts that stretch to go on over the head. I made his neck opening the same circumference as his head. I didn't know if undershirts were ever made with a close fitting neck and a front slit for ease of getting on, or if that was more of an outerwear fashion.
    At least in the SCA, which so far is the only medieval type group we have joined, no one cares or seems even interested if you are wearing appropriate underwear or not. :P I just wish I knew he was wearing his shirt for my own peace of mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought that making a shirt for one's husband must be a very nice occupation indeed. I'm glad you are so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Sarah: I know exactly what you mean about just *knowing* that someone wears the right thing. In my group we are expected to wear the correct underwear, but if you wear modern underwear or not under that, is up to the individual (as long as it doesn't show).

    @ Elisabeth Ann: It's an extremely pleasant occupation :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - please comment!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.