Wednesday 20 January 2010

Missing My Sister

Five years ago today, my 14-year old sister died after struggling with cancer for seven years. It was a time of sorrow and loss in my family, but also a time for quiet joy. My sister had been in so much pain, and now she was at peace - was not that a cause for joy, even at the cost of missing her for the rest of our lives? To the last her faith in the Lord was strong, and it carried her cheerfully through many of her hardships.

"My Child" by David Bowman


At this most difficult and painful time in my life, nursing my sister, then sewing and help clothing her in the dress she was to be buried in, I felt the truth of the Resurrection so powerfully. I still miss her, but there is no doubt in my mind that my sister is safe, that I will meet her again when it's my turn to leave this world, and that we all will rise again, just like the Savior did, perfect, with no illnesses, pains or handicaps, to live as a family forever.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalms 23: 4, 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you - please comment!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.